Thursday, November 10, 2011

Resident Evil 4

If there's a must-have list for games that should be played on the Wii, this title would be pretty close to the top-- if not at the top. I've only played this on the Wii so I'm only rating the Wii version. Though, I think this would be fun on other consoles too.


Summary:
You play as Leon, a secret agent for the US government, who is on a mission to save the president's (annoying) daughter Super Mario style. You get loads of upgradable weaponry for fighting with just about any playstyle. There's loads of infectoids (zombies puppeted by an infection that often causes mutation) you get to shoot and lots of fun horde battles. The story is a bit confusing, but that's to be expected from a game by Capcom. The boss battles are wonderfully brutal and the creatures are positively frightening. It has Dead Space style scares, though they aren't as frequent, annoying or as forced. There's loads of action and strategy you must conquer at the same time. This game is not for the noobies.

Gameplay:
In Resident Evil games you can't move while you shoot. I know that sounds bad but for over the shoulder shooters it works. Especially when the zombies are a bit slower to make up for your lack of mobility. I would say the gameplay is balanced, not nerfed. 
The upgradable guns are very fun to play with despite the fact that you have to pause to switch weapons. Though that isn't much of a hassle if you keep up with your Tetris-Style inventory. That means you have to rotate and move ammo, weapons, health items and such to fit into your suitcase. This may also sound annoying but it serves a wonderful purpose. Balance. You can carry lots of health and a tiny gun or loads of guns and little health. It's to fit your playstyle and retain -balance-. I love that word. 

Wii Specific Gameplay:
You aim your guns with the Wii-mote! There's enough interactivity there to keep things fun but not enough to make your arms sore from holding them up. There are also quicktime events (dodge a stab, shake off a zombie, jump away from a rolling boulder, etc) that have you shake the Wii-Mote in a specific fasion in a small amount of time. So, for once, you're rewarded for spazzing out at a game!

The only problem with the Wii controls is that if your battery gets low your aim will begin to degrade. Though, that isn't the game's fault. So keep fresh batteries handy.

Boss Battles:
If there's one thing I love in video games it's intense and rediculous boss fights. Killing brawn with brain always makes you feel like a champ, and killing brawn with even more brawn makes you feel pretty bad ass. Another boss battle feeling that I love is the "Holy crap, that was close. I can't believe I made it out alive." Resident Evil 4 has all of these feelings as there are many and very challenging boss fights. One being a fight against a blind brute who you must outsmart with sound and another being a huge ogre that you must out-dodge. Very fun.
Bad things:
You'll more than likely find yourself running in circles or getting lost. The map is difficult to understand and sometimes instructions are vague. You may have to Google some "I'm stuck" questions but there's not so many that they ruin the game.

Ashley (the president's daughter) is also a bad thing. Yes, a bad thing. You'll know why when you rescue her... but I must say she's smart enough to duck when you aim at her and smart enough to hide behind you when you aim at anything else.

The difficulty isn't very straightfoward and increases very quickly before evening out and ascending at a proper rate. Perhaps this is to force you to be skilled enough to continue rather than training you slowly.

Overall:
Fun gameplay, confusing story, lots of zombies, lots of guns and using the Wii-Mote to turn enemies into mush makes for a good game at a great price.


GAME FOR YOUR BUCK?
 More than worth it.
Other platforms and different (usually lower) prices below. Click to see.






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment.

Popular Posts